Thursday, December 13, 2007

December 13 - Day Plus 8

I am hearing a faint song in the background - I think it is Bob Seger's "Turn the Page."

Albeit only a modest improvement, I had a better day today. I am cautiously optimistic, but I am hoping it's up, up, and away from here. I wasn't as nauseated, I wasn't as feverish, my head didn't hurt as much - all better signs. And, my counts are up today...from a dangerously low 0.1 to a whopping 0.2. Keep in mind, normal counts are around 10.0.

So, barring any setbacks, I think I'm on my way. I ate breakfast and lunch today - not from the foodservice here at the hospital, of course.

I managed to stay awake through the Price is Right. Pretty normal show today, but I am feeling the need for a little dissertation.

Did you ever notice how many of the contestants are not quite all there? For example, the show starts with four contestants bidding for a random prize. Their bid must be the closest to the actual retail price without going over. Unless you knew the exact retail price of one of the items, there should never, ever be a reason you would bid one dollar under someone who has already bid.

For example, if the person before you bids $1,000, why would you bid $999 unless you knew the price was $999. Well, people bid one dollar less than the person that just bid all of the time. I could understand bidding one dollar more because the rules are to be the closest to the actual retail price without going over, But, you should never bid one dollar less! And these aren't people that don't know how to play the game. They show up wearing t-shirts of Bob Barker and Drew Carey, claiming they've been watching the show for 30 years. Apparently the TV's been on, but they haven't been watching.

I have a whole theory on the Price is Right and MTV that I could share with you, but I don't really know who is reading this blog. So, I'd better save it for one-on-one conversation.

On that note, I am curious who is reading this blog. I've heard rumors that it's reached all the way to Armenia. I am turning on the ability for you to post back to the blog today, so please feel free to add a post to say hi and let me know you're out there.

As always, thanks for you concern and prayers and thanks for checking in.

11 comments:

Ara Topouzian said...

Al,
I think this was a great idea for you to do this. It helps the rest of in explaining whats going on with you and how you feel. Like how I turned that around to suggest you have a blog to help US?!
Anyway, I read it everyday, sometimes more than once. Stay well brother, talk to you later.
love,
Ara

Jude said...

I was getting very concerned about your Price is Right obsession until I saw that you have included it in your MTV theory. I feel much better now.

There are many CLs waiting in Memphis for me. I understand they have many friends. A few will be dedicated to you.

You "sound" a lot better. One step at a time and you'll be better than new real soon.

Keep healing,

Dave

Joe Promo said...

Hey Alex

Think Bill Martin may be trying to call. Miss you at the office. Hang in there.

Joe

Unknown said...

I thought Harry was the only person that crazy about TPIR. I think you guys need to join a support group. :-)

Keep your spirits up. We're praying for you.

Laurie

vahanb said...

Hey Whitey - Kevin from Secaucus sends his best and is looking for another round at the craps table. Read the blog everyday - looking forward to hearing the MTV theory. Also, can this be added to the theory - Why do people on Wheel of Fortune buy vowels when the already know what the word is and 98% of the general population can solve the puzzle - drives me nuts (as you can see). We think of you everyday and wish you a speedy recovery - its not the same without someone shoving a beer in your face every 5 mins! see you soon - Hans

Ani H said...

AL,
I am so happy that I was able to hear your updates while I was at school. I have always watched price is right (because I didn't have class during the time) so I probably could discuss some of your theories in detail with you. :)
I am so happy to hear you are beginning to feel better...every little bit is a good sign.
Love ya so much,
Ani

Raffi Vartian said...

Well I'm not in Armenian but I am reading your blog every day (I even read it from my cell phone and accidentally flagged it for inappropriate material. Sorry for that).

Can't wait to hear that MTV theory. Thinking it may go like this:

Al: "MTV makes people stupid"

Raffi: "Bush is Evil"

Al: "Shut up and drink shortie"

Sound about right?

rkourtjian said...

Al - Love the TPIR analysis. Of course you understand that 99% of their viewers dont have a UofM MBA. Most cant spell MBA, so understand their market.

We are saying our prayers that those counts keep coming headed in the right direction. God Bless You!

dori kesh said...

Hey Al,
Rich and I read your blog everyday and some days more than once. You're in our thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Dori
XO

mkeylian said...

Al: You have reached Las Vegas! I am so glad to hear you are feeling better! I think of you all the time!!! I miss you all!!!

We all send our love and prayers!

Michelle

Unknown said...

When you get out we all need to sit you down and talk about you fixation with Drew Carey....oh yeah...and hurry up and get better! :-)