Wednesday, December 5, 2007

December 5 - Day Zero

Reunited and it feels so... eh.

I've got my cells back and am doing OK. It was actually more discomforting than the chemo, but it only lasted about an hour. More cramping than nausea. The only scent I got was an acidic taste in the back of my throat - I won't tell you what it tasted like. It was so strong that I was only barely able to kill the taste with Altoids. The predominant opinion is that it smells like creamed corn, which I cannot smell because I am too congested.

I am not sure what I am more excited about today - my re-birthday or the deal the Tigers pulled off yesterday. Look out Red Sox and Yankees!

There was a tie on the big wheel on Price is Right today. Two people got $1 on the wheel and won $1,000. In the spinoff, the guy won $5,000, but only got 5 cents. The girl beat him with something like 25 cents and went to the showcase. Because the cell reinfusion was done while it was on, I didn't pay attention to the results of the showcase. I don't know if it's better to take the for sure $5k, or risk it in the showcase.

My counts are down again today, but are not in a free fall. They're pretty close to zero, so there's not much room to free fall anyway. I am guessing I'll be at zero within a few days. Hopefully, my returned cells will get busy quickly and get that immune system going again. The sooner it does, the sooner I can go home.

I can hardly believe I've been here 8 days already. Luckily, I had never spent a night in the hospital before last week. With all of the trouble I got into when I was a kid - hit by a car, wiped out on a mini-bike - it's a miracle this is the first time.

My neighbor got to go home today. To clear up some confusion, she's in the room next door, not sharing a room with me.

I'm feeling OK as I head off to try to sleep. Thanks for checking in.